Could the addition of veterinary colleges be the solution to ending the national shortage of veterinarians? That’s the hope, according to a recent article from the AVMA.
There are currently 33 veterinary schools in the United States, and 11 new schools have been proposed in the past two years:
- The Ana G. Méndez University in Puerto Rico
- Arkansas State University
- Chamberlain University in Stockbridge, Georgia
- Clemson University
- Lincoln Memorial University in Orange Park, Florida
- Lyon College in Batesville, Arkansas
- Rowan University in New Jersey
- Utah State University
- University of Maryland Eastern Shore in Princess Anne, Maryland
- Rocky Vista College which has campuses in Colorado, Utah, and Montana
- Murray State University in Kentucky
All universities, whether already having approval or still under consideration for adding a veterinary program, must seek accreditation from the AVMA Council on Education and request a consultative site visit for feedback on its proposed program. What do you think about adding more veterinary colleges?
Are you struggling to find new doctors to add to your practice? Give me a call so I can explain how my team has earned a 93% success rate in providing quality candidates within the first 90 days of the recruitment process.